Home » News

UN’s appeal to LTTE

[Hindu, Thursday, 22 January 2009 19:38 No Comment]

The United Nations office in Sri Lanka on Thursday slammed the LTTE for its refusal to allow its staff to return from the Wanni with the convoy that had gone there to deliver relief supplies to the displaced. It said it had issued “strongest possible protest to the LTTE”. The protest came amid pitched battles in Mullathivu, the last stronghold of the Tigers and heightened concerns over the safety of the civilians trapped in the war zone.

 

Separately, the Red Cross said it facilitated the handover to the government authorities of a wounded soldier receiving treatment in the Puthukkudiyiruppu hospital, in the LTTE-held area.

 

In a statement, the ICRC said it had been negotiating with the parties for the past three days to secure safe passage for 70 patients, some of them in a serious condition, to Vavuniya Hospital.

 

Meanwhile, the Defence Ministry said following a request by security forces, the ICRC in Vavuniya has agreed to make arrangements to spread the message among the trapped civilians in Wanni of the expanded Safe Zone declared in the Mullathivu district.

[Full Coverage]

(For updates you can share with your friends, follow TNN on Facebook, Twitter and Google+)

Comments are closed.