Home » News

Boyle warns U.N. repeating Srebrenica debacle in Vanni

[TamilNet, Monday, 16 March 2009 07:33 No Comment]

Pointing out that “[i]n 1995 the United Nations Organization as a whole was fully complicit in Serbia’s genocidal massacre of 8500 Bosnian Muslim men and boys at Srebrenica in violation of Article III (e) of the 1948 Genocide Convention that prohibited, criminalized and required the punishment of: "Complicity in genocide,"” Professor Francis Boyle, an expert in international law and a professor at Illinois College of Law, said that it looks as if "the United Nations is now repeating one of the most shameless and disgraceful debacles in its entire history in today’s Vanni Pocket by becoming complicit in Sri Lanka’s genocide against the Tamils there.”

"Indeed, at the time Srebrenica was a designated United Nations "safe area" supposedly under the protection of the United Nations Security Council, whose member states refused to lift even one finger to save these Bosnians from Serbian genocide," says Prof. Boyle who won two World Court Orders on the basis of the 1948 Genocide Convention that were overwhelmingly in favor of the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina against the rump Yugoslavia to cease and desist from committing all acts of genocide against the Bosnians.

Professor Boyle pointed to the Inner City Press (ICP) report which stated that "[t]he UN on Monday acknowledged that it is funding camps in Sri Lanka from which people cannot leave."

ICP has been asking for two weeks at the UN whether international aid funds will be used for detention camps in which those fleeing the conflict zone in Sri Lanka will be detained, until the end of 2009 or longer. Holmes confirmed that the UN has "offered to assist transit camps" or "semi-permanent camps," and as to funding as so far "make no links between the two."

U.N. human rights chief warned Friday that "civilian casualties could reach "catastrophic" proportions if the two sides do not suspend their fighting," and that the Sri Lankan military and the Tamil rebels may have committed war crimes.

Pillay also said the "army has repeatedly shelled inside safe "no-fire" zones set up for the civilians, and that "a range of credible sources" showed that more than 2,800 civilians had been killed and more than 7,000 wounded since January 20."

[Full Coverage]

(For updates you can share with your friends, follow TNN on Facebook, Twitter and Google+)

Comments are closed.