Home » News

Longer pause in fighting not possible: Sri Lanka tells Britain

[Hindu, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 11:59 No Comment]

Sri Lanka has rejected Britain’s plea for a "longer pause" in the fighting against the LTTE to enable the civilians to escape to safer areas, saying it is not possible due to the "attitude" of the rebels.

 

Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama told British Foreign Secretary David Miliband, in a telephonic conversation, that a "longer pause" with LTTE was not possible due to the attitude of the rebels.

 

"Bogollagama emphasised that a longer pause was not possible because the LTTE has so far failed to demonstrate any genuine goodwill on its part in allowing the civilians to have free movement," a foreign ministry statement said.

 

Mr. Miliband had on Sunday said the two-day pause announced by the Sri Lankan Government "must be long enough for all those who want to leave the conflict zone to do so safely."

 

The minister also told the British Foreign Secretary that there was concern that the LTTE would continue to consolidate its fortification of the No-Fire Zone.

[Full Coverage]

(For updates you can share with your friends, follow TNN on Facebook, Twitter and Google+)

Comments are closed.