Home » News

Pro-LTTE threat to Tamil meet ruled out

[Express Buzz, Sunday, 13 June 2010 07:22 No Comment]

Tamil Nadu intelligence chief Jaffer Sait on Saturday pointed the finger at the involvement of pro-LTTE groups in the blast that blew off the railway track near Perani railway station of Villupuram district in Tamil Nadu on Saturday, however, he ruled out any threat to the World Classical Tamil Conference.

He said that proLTTE groups opposing the visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajpaksa are behind the blast and ruled out the role of Maoists.

While pro-LTTE groups like Tamil Nationalist Movement (TNM) refused comment, Periyar Dravida Kazhagam dismissed police claims. When Express contacted TNM leader Nedumaran, he refused to comment on the involvement of pro-LTTE group. "We will react tomorrow," he said.

PDK president Kulothoor Mani dismissed the involvement of pro-LTTE groups. "If someone would have wanted to protest the visit of Sri Lankan president they would have done it when he visited India. Why would they do such a thing when he had already left for Sri Lanka," he wondered.

Meanwhile, Sait ruled out the threat to the Tamil meet in Coimbatore by proLTTE groups and added that the state is taking all precautionary measures.

Coimbatore city commissioner Sylendra Babu said, "We have been taking all preventive measures and officers are being sensitised on the issue. Preventive anti-sabotage measures are being taken at the conference venue and sniffer dogs are kept on permanent basis."

Interestingly, almost all leaders and cadre of militant outfits like Tamil Nadu Liberation Army and Tamil Nadu Retrieval Troops who were active in late 80s and 90s have been arrested and charged under various cases.

[Full Coverage]

(For updates you can share with your friends, follow TNN on Facebook, Twitter and Google+)

Comments are closed.