Home » News

Details of Batticaloa dynamite blast victims emerge

[TamilNet, Sunday, 26 September 2010 09:28 No Comment]

Sri Lanka government had not revealed the true casualty figures of the explosion in Karadiyan-aa’ru police station 17 September, eye witnesses of the blast said. Sri Lanka police authorities had in the first instance claimed 62 killed and more than a hundred injured including civilians. Later the figures were cut down to 21 killed and more than 70 injured. Meanwhile, while the explosion of the dynamites in a container vehicle parked in the police station has raised suspicions, transport of explosives used to blast granite rocks in Batticaloa district is banned by Sri Lanka government, sources in Batticaloa said.

A man who had gone to the Agricuture Service Centre close to Karadiyan-aa’ru police station had seen the incident.

“I heard a loud explosion and saw smoke rising from the police station and people running out for their lives. When I went there I saw parts of human bodies and flesh strewn. Sri Lanka soldiers who had rushed to the scene did not allow anyone to enter the police station precincts. I also saw a vehicle going out of the police station with a large number of bodies,” he said.

“A large number of bodies were taken to Maha Oya area and it is not known what had happened to them,” he further said.

Meanwhile, the wife a victim killed in the blast was able to find only the finger of husband identifying by the wedding ring on it. She had been married only six months, sources in Batticaloa said.

[Full Coverage]

(For updates you can share with your friends, follow TNN on Facebook, Twitter and Google+)

Comments are closed.