Sri Lankan foreign minister Rohitha Bogollagama has rejected a call by Canada to enter a truce in the current battle with the Tamil Tigers.
The Canadian Minister of International Development Beverley J Oda had called on Bogollagama here Monday during her one-day visit to the island.
Bogollagama told the Canadian minister that more than 200,000 civilians had escaped from the clutches of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) into the government areas in recent days.
"He reiterated the Government’s commitment to protect the civilians inside the no-fire zone (NFZ). Responding to a call by the Canadian Minister for a ceasefire", a statement from the government said.
Bogollagama said a unilateral humanitarian pause in military action declared by the Government on April 12, 2009, in the expectation that the LTTE will release the civilians, which it was holding hostage, was a failure.
Sri Lankan rejection of international calls for a truce continues after last week’s dismissal of a similar request by the visiting British and French foreign ministers.