Home » News

TNPF urges investigations on genocide since British exit

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 09:06 No Comment]

Tamil National Peoples Front (TNPF) on Friday urged the global community not to limit the demand for investigations to only war crimes committed in the last phase of the war. Referring to the ongoing exhumation of Thirukkeatheesvaram mass grave in Mannaar, where four of the recovered 32 skulls so far were of children, the TNPF said the slaying of children clearly indicated the nature of genocidal intent. Given the long record of massacres, pogroms, war crimes and the ongoing crimes of structural genocide, the call for investigation should be on the genocide since British left the island, the TNPF said.

The Sri Lankan State has failed to conduct proper investigations on the earlier discoveries of mass graves in the Tamil homeland.

Even if the Sri Lankan State was to conduct investigations, the victims could not expect justice from it, the TNPF said, citing the ‘investigation’ on Chemma’ni mass grave, which failed to punish the culprits.

Therefore, a proper call for justice should be impartial international investigation on the genocide against Eezham Tamils since the British left the island, the TNPF said in a statement released in Tamil.

The Bishop of Mannaar and the Tamil National Alliance have already called for international investigations on the mass grave in Thirukkeatheesvaram.

The exhumation of the mass grave is to resume on 16 January.

[Full Coverage]

(For updates you can share with your friends, follow TNN on Facebook, Twitter and Google+)

Comments are closed.