Home » Featured, News

More skeletons exhumed from Mannaar mass grave

[TamilNet, Friday, 31 January 2014 09:09 One Comment]

55 human skeletons have been recovered so far from Thirukkeatheesvaram mass grave in Maanthai division of Mannaar district. On Tuesday and Wednesday, Colombo had deployed more than 20 ‘criminal investigators’ to proceed with their version of the ‘investigations’ for the 4th day. The victims are believed to be innocent civilians who were caught and slain by the SL military during the times of Rana Gosha military operation between 1999 and 2001, civil sources in Mannaar say.

Mannaar_mass_grave_28_01_14_02_106219_445 Five human skeletons were exhumed on Tuesday. Two more remains of the victims were recovered on Wednesday.

The Judicial Medical Officer from Anuradhapura was not present on Wednesday.

All the skeletons recovered so far have been locked in 18 boxes and preserved at Mannaar hospital, the SL police said.

The extent of the killing field is not yet established. The forensic excavations are to continue on Thursday, news sources in Mannaar said.

The killing field is situated close to the temple road that turns from Mannaar – Jaffna Road to Thirukkeatheesvaram temple. During the times of war, a major SL military camp was situated at the site and the mass grave site came under the so-called high security zone of the occupying SL military.

Hundreds of innocent civilians were slain by the Sinhala military during the Rana Gosha military operation. Many people were also reported missing during that time.

Mannaar_mass_grave_28_01_14_01_106215_445

[Full Coverage]

(For updates you can share with your friends, follow TNN on Facebook, Twitter and Google+)

One Comment »

  • S P Balasuriyan said:

    OPERATION RANAGOSA
    [Date :: 1999-03-06 ]

    Sri Lanka Army in Wanni and Mannar Districts launched series of offensive operations under the command of Commander Security Forces Headquarters (Wanni) Maj General LP Balagalle.

    Stage – I
    Aim of this Operation was to regain control in LTTE-held Mundumurippu, Iranai, Illuppaikkulam and Puwarasankulam areas.

    53 and 55 Divisions were tasked to capture the areas with the assistance of 56 Division in a defensive role. The Operation commenced early March 1999 in two directions,and the Security Forces captured a total area of 526 sq km, which included 17 villages and approximately 10,000 civilians; which they massacred and buried within this high security zone; including another thirteen truck load of dead bodies sent and dumped to the Kalametiyaya Swamp near to the newly built Hambantota Harbor/Port. These were the internal killings which were carpet cleared by the Sri Lanka Government; which General Sarath Fonseka wanted to bring to light to correct and stop the Army and the politics of the governmental bodies from future activities of Corruption and killings of the Tamil People; through the principles he thought them by terminating in the battle front the LTTE; with no cowardly killings of innocent Tamil Citizens who are deprived by the Sinhala Buddhist Community; from a provincial homeland within the Nation.